Sunday 5 June 2016

In Her Spare Room





Dear Reader,


                                                                              The Steam Engine
                                     
Several summers ago we decided to rent a cottage on the North Yorkshire moors and, as has happened before, the pretty cottage described in the brochure was, in fact, situated in a caravan park, and the weather was gloomy and the house was cold.   But nevertheless we had some good small adventures, and walking from Grosmont to Goathland after taking the steam train, a short twenty -minute ride, was one of them.  The railway line had been closed following the Beeching Report, but in 1967 a group of steam enthusiasts and local volunteers started its restoration, and today it carries more passengers than any other heritage railway in the United Kingdom.  It was an interesting walk with lovely scenery and great views of the steam trains hurrying by.  I always think steam trains are really romantic and would love to go on that long journey people enthuse about from Victoria Station to Vladivostok on the Trans-Siberian railway.

Dear readers, could you do something for me this week please?  I will have been writing this weekly blog for one year from the beginning of July 2015 and feel a rest might be in order at the end of this month.  So the question for you is: should I continue, starting again in September?  I would be very grateful if you could let me know your feelings by writing to my email address, which is:   

patricia.huthellis@googlemail.com

Just say yes go on, or we have had enough and I will take your advice.  Thank you very much.


                                                                      *



In Her Spare Room


I see these books,
draw in a breath,
as cherished memories
race into my head.

These are:

Akenfield
Portraits of an English Village
Swallows and Amazons
The Speckledy Hen
The Little Flowers of St. Francis
My Friend Flicka
The Wind in the Willows
Tales of Old Inns

The owner of this house
is unknown to me,
but her collection
of treasured books
tells me a little of her,
what makes her who she is,
what makes me who I am.

                                                                          *

Very best wishes,  Patricia
                                                                               


 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, books means so much and speak volumes about us. I keep my most treasured books on a shelf by my bed.
    You must continue to write this blog and share your poems - but everyone is entitled to a holiday now and then! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These poems touch something of our shared humanity and I love reading them. Please continue after your holiday xx

    ReplyDelete