Sunday 8 March 2020

Second Childhood




Dear reader,

Two exciting things happened to me this week.   The first one was a letter from Her Majesty's Inland Revenue to tell me that with my up coming birthday I am now going to receive 25p more per week in my pension. Naturally I am thrilled but what can one buy for 25p I wonder? Ah yes, probably one loo roll if there are any left after the bulk buying that seems to be going on.

And the other excitement was flooding the lawn with grass seed.  There is one large muddy patch in the middle of the lawn where the sun never shone because of a beech tree taking all the light.  The tree is no longer there and although I was very sad to have it cut down it was 'a lovely tree in the wrong place' as the tree surgeon said.   I am convinced the seed will grow at a great pace and we shall have a beautiful lawn by May.

Although professionals say this will not happen. Ah well we shall see....

*

Richard Hayes, 1766 in Kent.  March 9th,

'Very pleasant sunny warm day.  My rooks for the week past have been very busy a building.  And the butterflies have turned out. Crocuses and spring flowers appear.  I now look upon this to be the pleasantest time of the year.'

D.H. Lawrence, 1916 in Cornwall.  March 9th

'This morning the world was white with snow.  the evening the sunset is yellow, the birds are whistling, the gorse bushes are bristling with little winged suns.......   The new incoming days seem most wonderful, uncreated.'


*

Second Childhood

I don't want to read anymore
books about war, violence,
sex, murder or broken relationships.
They depress me.

I want to re-read
Moorland Mousie, the Exmoor pony,
Anne of Green Gables,
The Wind in the Willows.

I want to get lost in fairy land,
to sing and laugh
with Ratty and Mole,
join them on their adventures.

I want the innocence
lost years ago, when
compassion and wonder
were in my heart.

I want to be a child again.

*

With very best wishes, Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment