Sunday 14 June 2020

The Mind Cupboard


                                                          
                                                      Butterflies seen on a walk in the Cotswolds this week.


Dear Reader,

We had excitement this week because we had an engagement party for my daughter Tiffany and her fiancee Duncan.  We had it in the garden in the pouring rain, and toasted the happy couple in Prosecco
from plastic mugs.  But, strangely, it was one of the best parties I have ever been to.  Emma, my granddaughter, who has a lovely voice sang a jolly song, and also did  small sketch of a hungry dog watching his master eating something delicious from the fridge, but not having any himself, which she had seen on YouTube. Francis and I did a short rendering of the song from the film 'Goodness Gracious Me'  with Sophia Lauren and Peter Sellers. 

When they all left and I went inside I was soaking wet and worried that I would get a chest cold (which I do at the drop of a hat) but decided it had been a great fun occasion and how I loved my family.  I am so glad Duncan has come to join us. Funny I didn't ever think a party in the rain would be entertaining, but it certainly was.  If you are still in lockdown and can only see your family in the garden, don't be put off by the rain.

                                                                                       *

From Horace Walpole, 1791 in Middlesex

'It froze hard last night:  I went out for a moment to look at my haymakers, and was starved.  The contents of an English June are hay and ice, orange-flowers and rheumatism.  I am now cowering over the fire.'

                                                                                          *


The Mind Cupboard

          
My mind cupboard overflows
with unwanted debris.
It needs a spring clean.

I will brush away the cobwebs
of cheerless thoughts.
Scrub out the stains of childhood.

I will replace the brass hooks
corroded with salt tears,
empty all the screams
hoarded through the years.

I will replace the accumulated ashes
from the worn shelf-paper.
with virgin tissue.

I will chase and catch the wasps,
relieve them of their stings.
I will refill this cupboard
with love, and learnt, brighter things.


                                                                                              *

With very best wishes, Patricia

The butterfly photographs were taken by Nikki Moran.

No comments:

Post a Comment