Sunday 16 May 2021

At Last







 Dear Reader,


My poem this week is about the topical subject of hugging.  You have probably read lots about tomorrow, Monday, being the day we are all allowed to hug someone and how completely wonderful that will be.  In fact I did an illicit hug with my granddaughter last week, I just couldn't wait any longer. And it was such an intense moment of bliss I will never forget it. I don't know whether you remember my poem about 'a gentleman of the road' who I met when I was working for the Samaritans.  We had chatted for quite some time about his life and when he left I gave him a hug. He hadn't touched another human being for over thirty years, he said, as a tear fell down his cheek.  But I think the hug I gave him cheered him up and helped him on his way.  It was emotional for me too.  

So go out there, my friends, and hug as many people as you can.  I think it is a great deprivation to ask humans not to touch each other. We are social animals and as such need to express ourselves to others in the way of a hug.  Obviously there are some people who do not want to be hugged: well that is their perogative. But for me, hugging is what I like to do, confirming my love for that person in my arms.

Some people find hugging a tree very endearing and satisfying.  So I have put a photograph of someone doing just that.

                                                                                     *

A British firm has become embroiled in an internationsl legal battle over who is entitled to produce Manuka honey.  It is feared that beekeepers from New Zealand want to ensure only honey produced in their country can carry the title.  A single jar of this honey can cost hundreds of pounds depending whether it meets certain criteria.  I buy mine from the Co-op and I think it is about ten pounds a jar.
It is delicious and apparently, in all sorts of ways, very good for you.  So if you feel weak after all the excitement of hugging again, I recommend you buy ajar.

                                                                                      *

At last           (after Covid restrictions were lifted)

the excitement
of hugging someone
after so long
the ecstatic feeling of
somebody much loved in your arms
kissing their cheeks
again and again
holding their hands, holding them close
fingers locking
standing still
breathing their breath
crying with pent up relief
filling that enormous
longing ache
with love and laughter
again


                                                                                  *

With very best wishes, Patricia


 


No comments:

Post a Comment