Sunday 26 December 2021

Quickening

563



                                                                                          Song Thrush
 
 


 Dear Reader,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to church this Christmas, at least not in the way I would have liked.  Watching services on television doesn't make me feel sublime.  For me it is important each year to remember that Christ died for us, for me, and a traditional service with carols reminds us of this fact. As I come to the end of my life, Christianity plays a very important role.  As some of you readers know I went to Iona island years ago and had a sort of epiphany on the beach where St. Columba arrived in 563.  There is more out there than we know as Shakespeare said,  and I had a mystical experience on that beach, no doubt. 

I thought I would share with you this Celtic prayer:

 

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

This is an old Celtic Irish Blessing.

                                                                                       *

From Francis Kilvert, 1871 December 31st, 1871 in Wiltshire

'At five minutes to midnight the bells of Chippenham church pealed out loud and clear in the frosty air.   We opened a shutter and stood around listening.  It was a glorious moonlit night.'


                                                                                  *

Quickening

I want the pulse of life that has been asleep
to wake, embrace me, put on the light.
To hear the thrush, song-repeat, to keep
my trust in God to hurry icy winter's flight.
I want to glimpse, under sodden leaves, green shoots
to announce life's circle, its beginnings, have begun.
I want to run barefoot, abandon boots,
to walk through primrose paths, savour the sun.
I want to take off winter's dress, change the season,
to see the coloured petticoats of spring, bloom
and show us mortals nature's reason
to start afresh, admire the peacock's plume.
Cellar the coal, brush ashes from the fire,
I want to  intertwine, my love, quicken, feel desire.

                                                                                   *


A happy New Year and very best wishes, Patricia


No comments:

Post a Comment