Sunday 26 June 2022

Afternoon Tea

                                                                    Wild meadow flowers
 

 

Dear Reader,

Francis and I had a big adventure this week we went to stay in Oxford for three nights  and had a wonderful interesting time.  Over the last two years we had been pretty well nowhere, just managed the local villages and a foray or two to the local pub.  So Oxford was a revelation.  I didn't realize that these days most young women wore very short shorts or mini skirts, and very pretty they looked too.  We did all the things that you do when you go to Oxford for a bit of culture and a bit of fun.  We went to museums and Francis loved the Science Museum, so much so he went three times.  And we went on a river steamer down the Thames towards Abingdon in the bright sunlight, accompanied by ducks and geese.  

We had lunch for two days running in the famous restaurant Browns and were able to sit in the window and could watch the world go by.  Lots of dons, scholars, students and everyday people rushed past and we spent happy hours looking at them.  I had forgotten how many people there are in the world or at least how many there were in Oxford last week.  I had also forgotten, or perhaps I didn't know, that big cities are very expensive.  One cappuccino and a croissant seemed to cost a week's wages.  Still it was all a good change and made me realize that we have to get out more, explore the world a bit, reconnect.

                                                                                   *


The photograph is me with my meadow flower garden planted there by Jessica.  Insects and bees seem to like it and I am wondering whether for next year to plant these meadow flowers all over the lawn.


                                                                                  *

From Samuel Pepys, June 28th, 1664, in London

'Put on a half shirt first this summer, it being very hot, and yet so ill-tempered am I grown, that I am afeard I shall catch cold, while all the world is ready to melt away.'

                                                                                   *


Afternoon Tea

If the woman had had
choice of mothers,
she would have chosen
one who liked afternoon tea,
with scones, strawberry jam,
sweet biscuits, and hot Darjeeling.

But the mother of the woman
did not like afternoon tea,
She liked cocktails, excitement,
after dark and its secrets,
stirring things up, mischief,
and life's excesses.

As the woman knew
that choice of mother
was not negotiable,
she chose her friends
with four o'clock in mind.

                                                                                     *

 

 

 

Memoir:  'Half a Pair of People' is now out on Amazon.  Look for it in books:    Patricia Huth  and click here and they will send you a copy if you would like one.  Sorry to boast here but I do have thirteen 5 star reviews and most people seem to find it amusing.  Hilarious in fact. As I told you last week I have to do this publicity against my will because I have no publicity agent. 

                                                                          *


With best wishes, Patricia

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment