Sunday 30 October 2022

Suit, Waistcoat, Tie

 Dear Reader


 

 

To save money in this difficult time I have decided not to buy any more clothes.  I have enough clothes and have had most of them for more than twenty years.  Looking through my cupboard carefully I found a rack of my ties that I always used to wear years ago.  My sister started a shop in the 60s called "Night Owls" and in it, along with the nightgowns, were a selection of ties, mostly liberty prints. I am wearing one of them in the photograph today and it is, I think, about fifty years old.  It seems to have stood the ravages of time pretty well and I am enjoying wearing it.  

I was looking at some photographs of the Wrens serving in the navy in WWII and I think they look so smart with their black ties.  And wearing a tie has given me lots of new ideas to go with the pinafore dresses I usually wear, so lots of new outfits without buying anything. Do any of you readers like the idea of women wearing ties, or do you wear one sometimes, do let me know?:    patricia.huthellis@googlemail.com

                                                                                         

                                                                                       *

 

From Francis Kilvert, November 3rd, 1874, in Wiltshire


'......the strange hoarse belling of the buck, the fluttering of the coot as she skimmed the water with her melancholy note, the cry of the swans across the lake, the clicking of the reels as the fishermen wound up or let out their lines, the soft murmur of the woods, the quiet rustle of the red and golden drifts of beech leaves, the rush of the waterfall, the light tread of the dappled herd of deer dark and dim glancing across the green glades from shadow into sunlight and rustling under the beeches, and the merry voices of the Marquis's children at play.'

 

From Richard Jefferies, November 3rd, 1878, in Surrey

'The horse-chestnut buds at end of boughs; tree quite bare o leaves; all sticky, colour of deep varnish....Still day: the earth holds its breath.'


                                                                                  *

Suit, Waistcoat, Tie


Why wear his best suit,waistcoat, tie
at a talk on Nuclear Waste?
The village hall crumbles,
lit by dusty neon lights,
tea is served from cracked cups
and dull biscuits offered.

The rest wear jumble-sale clothes,
too dispirited to care,
their appearance long abandoned.

But is there someone there
who has stirred his heart
made him feel alive again?
The reason for his best suit,
his waistcoat and his tie,
his winning smile, his bright eye?

I like to think so,
hope so.

                                                                                *


If you enjoy reading my blog why not try reading my memoir:  Half a Pair of People.  It is about my life as a single divorced woman in Oxford in the 1980s.   Go into Amazon click Patricia Huth and they will send it to you.  Do read the reviews which, among other things, think it is hilarious and thought provoking.


                                                                                  *

With very best wishes, Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment