Sunday 16 April 2023

The Mind Cupboard

                                                         Mr. Arif and the Crane



 

 

Dear Reader,

You probably read this story but for those of you who missed it, here it is.  A farmer, Muhammad Arif, from Uttar Pradesh, found a rare sarus crane in a field last year, with a broken leg. He nursed it back to health. But wildlife authorities confiscated the bird and forestry officials took the crane to a zoo more than 150 miles away and charged Mr. Arif for keeping an endangered bird.

But Mr Arif said that he and the bird are in love and had removed himself from his family and friends to live with it.  They would share food from the same plate and the bird would stand guard outside Mr. Arif's door whilst he slept.  "I am in deep pain after they separated my friend from me.  It is like a member of my family has been caged.  I troubles me.  It was the first time I had ever felt so strongly for anyone, he said.

Mr Arif was recently allowed to see the crane for a short time at Kanpur's Allen Forest Zoo, where it is being held.  The bird recognised him when he reached the cage, flapping its wings and dancing as he approached.  Mr. Tarum Kumar Roy, an expert on Asian Water birds, called on the zoo to release the bird.  "It is not eating properly and if not set free it will die because it is feeling loneliness.  You could see him turning mad after seeing Arif," he said.


A petition to free the bird was launched earlier this month and has gathered almost 10,000 signatures.


It is such an unusual story, isn't it? Watching Sir David Attenborough's  "Wild Isles" I have learnt that birds do seem to be monogamous, find a mate and keep it for life. So this crane, having lost its mate I presume, paired up with Mr Arif. I hope it all has a happy ending and that the crane and Mr.Arif are allowed to stay together, somewhere, sometime.

                                                                                       *


From Francis Kilvert, April 15th, 1874 in Wiltshire

'A bright shot sun and cold east wind, the sky a deep and wonderful blue and the roads dry....The sun glared blinding upon the white flint rod and the white chalkland, and the great yellow dandelions by the roadside stared at the sun.'


                                                                                      *


The Mind Cupboard
 
 
My mind cupboard overflows
with unwanted debris.
It needs a spring clean.
 
I will brush away the cobwebs
of cheerless thoughts.
Scrub out the stains of childhood.
 
I will replace the brass hooks
corroded with salt tears,
empty all the screams
hoarded through the years.
 
I will replace the accumulated ashes
from the worn shelf-paper,
with virgin tissue.
 
I will chase and catch the wasps,
relieve them of their stings.
I will refill this cupboard
with love, and learnt, brighter things.
 
                                                                     *
 
 My novel : Victoria Scott's Dilemma is available here. It is rather a charming romantic tale with lots of laughs.

Victoria Scott’s Dilemma   
With best wishes, Patricia




 

No comments:

Post a Comment