Saturday 19 August 2023

Francis


 

 



 

Dear Reader,

The Monarch butterfly is a milkweed butterfly in the family of Nymphalide.  The Monarch is well known for its ability to travel great distances and the migrations in North America are one of the greatest natural phenomena in the world.   This butterfly is also very occasionally recorded from the British Isles, making it our largest and rarest migrant butterfly.  They have been recorded throughout Britain and Ireland with a concentration of sightings in the south-west notably from Cornwall and the Scilly Isles.

Monarchs live in gardens, on farmlands, in parks and in roadside hedges. They can be encourages to visit gardens by growing a range of suitable flowers from March until frosty weather ends the the butterfly season in October-November.  On average most butterfly species have a life span of two weeks in their adult stage.  Each of their life stages lasts a different amount of time.  A butterfly's life starts as an egg. It takes between 5 to 10 days to hatch into a caterpillar.  The International Union for Conservation of Nature as of July 2022, lists the Monarch butterfly as an endangered species on its Red List.


                                                                               *

 

From William Cobbett, August 28th 1826 in Wiltshire

'Five a.m.  A very fine morning....My horse is ready; and the rooks have just gone off to the stubble-fields.  These rooks rob the pigs; but they  have no right to do it.  I wonder (upon my soul I do) that there is no lawyer, Scotchman, or Parson-Judge, to propose a law to punish the rooks for trespass.'

 

From Gilbert White, August 30th 1772 in Hampshire

'Michaelmas daisy begins to blow.' 

 

                                                                                 * 

Francis

He came into my life
at the end of my life.
Five years later he is
still here
and how lucky I was, am.
He is perfect for me
peaceful and quiet,
helpful and loving,
my safety and rock.
Has the key to my heart
overflowing with love for him.
He is clever and inventive
both funny and kind.
I am grateful and appreciative
amd will love him dearly
until my end.

                                                                           *

 

With very best wishes, Patricia

 

No comments:

Post a Comment