Sunday 17 April 2016

Quickening



Dear Reader,


                                                            Shepherds Huts, both modern and ancient.

Leonard Mascal, a 16th-century writer, who was reputed to have become Chief Farrier to James I, produced a number of very early works regarding rural life.  The Shepherds hut was first mentioned in a book he wrote in l596, indicating the shepherd's importance in the farming community.   In the 19th and 20th centuries the hut was used by shepherds during the lambing season, the hut itself being a kitchen, dining room, bedroom, sitting room and storeroom all rolled into one, and the old huts had stoves in one corner for cooking and a window on each side so the shepherd could see his flock.  To be able to hear the sheep a hinged stable door was positioned away from the prevailing winds.

I think Lady Chatterley and her lover gamekeeper, Oliver Mellors, enjoyed their trysts and passionate lovemaking in a shepherds hut such as you can see in the top picture.  I would have thought it must have been a bit draughty in the winter months, but perhaps they were too busy to notice.


                                                                           *       



Quickening

I want the pulse of life that has been asleep
to wake, embrace me, put on the light.
To hear the thrush, song-repeat, to keep
my trust in God to hurry icy winter's flight.
I want to glimpse, under sodden leaves, green shoots
to announce life's circle, its beginnings, have begun.
I want to run barefoot, abandon boots,
to walk through primrose paths, savour the sun.
I want to take off winter's dress, change its season,
to see the coloured petticoats of spring, bloom
and show us mortals nature's reason
to start afresh, admire the peacock's plume.
Cellar the coal, brush ashes from the fire,
I want to intertwine, my love, quicken, feel desire.


                                                                             *

Very best wishes, Patricia


                                                          


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely, thoughtful, poem. And I think everyone should have a Shepherd's Hut!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is bursting with life-you are very clever to convey the season so well

    ReplyDelete