Sunday 19 July 2020

Kitchen Clean





Dear Reader,


I was able to go to the hairdresser's last week after not going for five months. I was thrilled to be going because I had been able to plait my hair for the last few weeks and had begun to look like Worzel Gummidge.  But what was interesting about the whole adventure of going out again after so long was my worry about driving, and the difficulties I had putting on the mask. Where the driving is concerned I had lost lots of confidence and drove along very slowly, probably annoying other drivers and frightening myself. 

Now for the mask.  I wear hearing aides and glasses so have to put the elastic on the mask over hearing aid and the arms of the glasses.  So to say that this is uncomfortable would be a understatement, but worse, when I took the mask off the hearing aides one got entangled and fell to the floor. Luckily I saw it happen but if I hadn't noticed that would have been £600 to buy a new one.  And of course masks steam up the spectacles and are very hot to wear.  I count myself lucky that I don't have to go out very often because I think masks and me are not good companions.

And with the continued re-assessment of when and where to wear them I am in a complete muddle about the rules.  Are you dear Reader, in a muddle too?

                                                                                 *

July 16th, 1666 in Essex from Samuel Pepys's diary.


'A wonderful dark sky and shower of rain this morning.  At Harwich a shower of hail as big as walnuts'.

July 16th, 1873 in Wiltshire from Francis Kilvert.

'As I walked along the field path I stopped to listen to the rustle and solemn night whisper of the wheat, so different to its voice in the day'.

                                                                                *

Kitchen Clean

He made a chicken supper
vegetable and pudding,
lots of dirty saucepans
and bowls strewn around
the kitchen.
Lovely food and terrible mess.
Left it.

Three a.m. couldn't sleep
pattered down to the kitchen
and there it was
an immaculate picture of
cleanliness and tidiness
he had worked on
when I had gone to bed.

My heart filled with love.


                                                                               *

With very best wishes, Patricia


No comments:

Post a Comment