Sunday 7 January 2024

A Curse



 Dear reader,

Do you remember me writing a little while ago about this tiresome chimp who lives in my head and protects me from any danger. He jumps about, warning me,  when he thinks I might be in trouble or have some trouble with something and he makes me very anxious indeed. He comes in the guise of a friend to me but I get very tired of his antics.

This week he was hysterical.  This is the story.  

Every night about 3 am I go downstairs and make myself a cup of tea.  In order to see the stairs I turn on the light at the top of the passage.   I make myself a cup and walking back into the passage found the light had been put out. So obviously the chimp had a hay day.  This was a poltergeist he said, haunting your house.  I couldn't sleep for the rest of the night trying to work out what had happened.  The next night still scared I followed my usual routine and discovered that a night light that Jessica (daughter) had given me for Christmas and which was being used in the passage turns itself off after a minute or two.  So that is why the light had gone out as I hadn't put the light at the top of the passage on, I suppose? I am very sleepy at 3am.  I gave the chimp a good talking to but he will, no doubt, take no notice.

                                                                           *

One of the tricks of a poltergeist is known for knocking noises so it will come as no surprise that the word poltergeist translates literally from the German word for spirit. The English word ghost is also related, it descends from the same ancient root that led to Geist.  Although ghost has been used in English since before the 12th century, poltergeist is a relative newcomer, first appearing as an English word in the middle of the 19th century.  

Most claims or fictional descriptions of poltergeists show them a being capable of pinching, biting and tripping people up.  They are also depicted as capable of the movement or levitation of objects such as furniture and cutlery, or noises such as knocking on doors.

                                                                           *


From D.H. Lawrence  January 5th 1916 in Cornwall

'There have been great winds, and the sea has been smoking white above the cliff - such a wind that it make one laugh with astonishment.  Now it is still again, and the evening is very yellow'.


From Francis Kilvert  January 6th 1879 in Herefordshire

'Old Christmas Day.   Last night the slip of the Holy thorn   ......grafted for me last spring in the vicarage lower garden blossomed in an intense frost.'


                                                                                  *

A Curse
 
 
on those who plunder the earth,
and violate sacred places......
 
A curse on those who disturb
and steal gently-bandaged skulls,
legs, arms, and finger-bones,
jewels: perhaps a pearl bracelet,
a coral ring, hair pins, or a mosaic plate,
set out lovingly with food
for the long journey home.
Who have lain there, at peace,
for many thousand years,
the sand, the desert winds, the rains,
nature’s bed.
 
 
A curse on those whose
laughter and excitement
fills the air, stealing these remains,
transporting them to people
in white coats,
who dissect their dignity,
stick labels on them,
give them to museums
to enlighten an ice-cream licking public.
 
                                                                                   *
 
With very best wishes, Patricia
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment