Sunday 1 September 2024

The Mind Cupboard





 Dear reader,

By the 17th century the cupboard was taking over the role of the chest as the principle piece of storage furniture.  The concept of cupboards can be traced back to medieval times when they were primarily used for the display of cups and dishes.  These early cupboards were simple wooden structures with shelves or drawers, often adorned with decorative elements like carvings or ornate hardware.

During the Victorian era cupboards were primarily used for storing clothes, linens and household items.  They were often small and cramped and only rich people could afford to have a separate cupboard for their clothing.  In fact many people used wardrobes and armories to store their clothes which were often made of heavy wood and ornate carvings.

During the 1940s/1960s cupboards became more stream lined and minimalist. The focus was on clean lines and simplicity.

                                                                               *

The mind cupboard is where our life is stored.  We can open the door and see and remember what we did, or not remember that well.  My memory is getting very poor especially with words but I use the five minute game and, usually, whatever I am looking for comes back.  In the middle of the night I often wonder why I did this thing or that - was I mad or what?  I never know even now.  Still I have got to 84 and things don't look too bad, I did my best, helping as many people as I could and I am still here, alive. The cupboard holds my adventures which I enjoy looking at sometimes, sometimes sadly and sometimes with a smile.

                                                                               *

From William Cobbett   September 1st 1823 in Kent

From Tenterden I st off at five o'clock , and got to Appledore after a most delightful ride, the high land upon my right, and the lowland upon my left.  The fog was so thick and white along some of the low land, that I should have taken it for water, if little hills and trees had not risen up through here and there.

 

From Ann Radcliffe  September 3rd 1797 in Sussex

Walked towards Shakespeare's Cliff, the fleet still in view.   Looked down from the edge of the cliffs on the fine red gravel margin of the sea.  Many vessels on the horizon and in mid-channel. The French coast, white and high, and clear in the evening gleam.   Everything upon the sea becoming melancholy, silent and pale.   A leaden-coloured vapour rising upon the horizon, without confounding the line of separation; the ocean whiter, till the last deep twilight falls, when all is one gradual, inseparable, undistinguishable, grey.

                                                                                  *

The Mind Cupboard
 
 
My mind cupboard overflows
with unwanted debris.
It needs a spring clean.
 
I will brush away the cobwebs
of cheerless thoughts.
Scrub out the stains of childhood.
 
I will replace the brass hooks
corroded with salt tears,
empty all the screams
hoarded through the years.
 
I will replace the accumulated ashes
from the worn shelf-paper,
with virgin tissue.
 
I will chase and catch the wasps,
relieve them of their stings.
I will refill this cupboard
with love, and learnt, brighter things.
 
 
                                                                                 *
With best wishes,  Patricia
 
The Mind Cupboard is on again by popular request.

No comments:

Post a Comment