Sunday, 20 September 2026

Rooks





 Dear reader,

The rook is a clever, social bird of the crow family, (Corvidae) that has shared the European and Asian landscape with humans for centuries.

Medieval folklore claimed larger gatherings of rooks were a "parliament" where the birds judged and executed peers who stole twigs from neighbouring nests.

Depending on the region, rooks were viewed as good luck and protection or as a bad omen tied to weather and death.  British weather have linked their soaring flight to dry days and their cawing to coming rain.

                                                                                   *

Had a lovely week this week with the weather just right. Gosh it makes such a difference.  I absolutely hated the heat we had in the summer this year.  I don't think English people are designed for the heat, I am certainly not.  70 degrees and a little drizzle is just the ticket.

 

                                                                                    *

From William Cooper   September 18th  1784 in Buckinghamshire

'I sit with all the windows and the door (of the greenhouse) wide open, and am regaled with the scent of every flower in a garden as full of flowers as I have known how to make it.   We keep no bees, but if I lived in a hive I should hardly her more of their music.  All the bees in the neighbourhood resort to a bed of mignonette, opposite to the window; and pay me for the honey they get out of it by a hum, which, though rather monotonous, is as agreeable to my ear as the whistling of my linnets.' 

From Jane Austen   September 18th  1796 in Kent

'What dreadful hot weather we have! - It keeps one in a continual state of inelegance.'

                                                                               *

Rooks

 I was fourteen,

when I first heard

the call of the rooks

caw-cawing

their eerie cries.

 

From a Cornish cottage garden

I walked down through

dark woods to the beach,

a remote place,

just dunes, sand, the sea

and me, a confused, angry teenager,

with the rooks caw-cawing in my ears

disturbing my thoughts.

 

Even now, in later years,

whenever I hear whispers from the wind,

or sea lapping over large grey stones

ever forward, ever backward,

glimpse a faraway horizon

and see twilight descending

darkening the sky,

the rooks in large black groups

flying high towards

their evening bed,

cawing, cawing, cawing,

my heart misses a beat

and an unexplained sadness

overcomes me.

 

                                                                  *

With very best wishes,

Patricia 












No comments:

Post a Comment