Sunday 23 July 2017

This man

Dear Reader,






I ask for your indulgence this week because I am writing about something strange that happened to me, and which I thought I would share with you.  Any of you, dear readers, who have followed my blog in the last few weeks will know that my husband has been very ill in hospital.  During one of the nights that I was alone and he was in intensive care,  I awoke at 3 a.m. with the poem I am putting on this blog, dictated by a voice in my head.  I rushed into my study and wrote it down as best I could, convinced that this voice came from our Good Lord.

J.B.S. Haldane (1892-1964), a Scottish mathematical biologist, said in his essay "Possible Words":  "Now, my own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose... I suspect that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of, or can be dreamed of, in any philosophy."

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Shakespeare,   Hamlet  

                                                                                *

this man

loved blue

it was a ship, a blue ship

that he sailed in

it was his power

made his heart beat faster

drove him along life's waterways


but he sailed away

came adrift

became shipwrecked

no power no heartbeat

this man

had lost the blue


but I made a small ship out of wood

gave it sails of the finest silk

an engine fired with love

now he sails again

his power came back


and I painted the ship blue

for

this man

                                                                  *

Very best wishes, Patricia

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful. With your love, he will overcome. Sending best wishes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful poem to have sprung so spontaneously from the depths of your beautiful soul. Xx

    ReplyDelete