Saturday 30 April 2022

Beach Mirror





 Dear Reader,

It has been quite an exciting week for me because I have had various feed backs about my new book: "Half a Pair of People."  Mainly they are good, it made people laugh, and they enjoyed the good stories.  However one friend of many years, found it "Sad".  This particular friend has been one of the lucky ones in life, wonderful happy family life growing up and never any money worries that I know of. Obviously if you have plenty of money always at your disposal your view of life and how it is led would be very different for those of us where money is scarce.

 In fact, as I remember it all,  I was perfectly happy and enjoyed the excitement of living in an university town of distinction. The early years of my life weren't memorable but I didn't dwell on them in the book, and my marriage was spoken of very little.  So 'sad' I don't think so but of course I have to take any criticism as it comes, otherwise as they say, 'if you don't want to feel the heat, stay out of the kitchen.'

                                                                             *

The only funny story this week is about cows.  Apparently when cows burp they fill the air with something that is not an advantage to the plant.  As a result they are going to fit cows with masks which apparently will help with the pollution.  I am not sure how much the cows will enjoy the masks but time will tell.  Perhaps there will be a protest march.  There seems to be one for almost any occasion these days.

                                                                               *

From Samuel Pepys, 1665 in London, 1st of May

'To Westminster, in the way of meeting many milkmaids with their garlands upon their pails, dancing with a fiddler before them.'

                                                                               *

Beach Mirror

I see myself, a young woman
recognize the long skirt,
the three blonde children,
one on her hip,
two holding hands,
all laughing, hugging, arguing,
her hair dancing in the wind.

Swirling thoughts about time past
consume me.
I kick at pebbles,
pick up oyster shells.
gaze at the everlasting point between sea and sky.

I have aged, certainly,
but, feeling the warmth of the sun,
watching the sea and the tides,
it seems these things
are ever the same as they were,
all those years gone by.

                                                                           *

'Half a Pair of People' to be bought on Amazon under the name Patrica Huth.

With very best wishes, Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment