Saturday 2 April 2022

I glimpsed a child

 Dear reader,


This photograph is one I had taken when I had Covid.  I was cleared from Covid two weeks ago but I thought you might like to know the repercussions I still have.  The main difficulty I had with Covid was with a horrible cough which I still have.  It makes sleeping very tiresome as I have to sit up or if I lie down I immediately start to cough.  And if I do anything strenuous I come out in a sweat and have to stop, viz. making the bed, or gardening.  And I have been tearful which has been very unlike me for the last three years. I did read somewhere that depression is one of the unattractive features of having Covid or having had it. I have got an excellent cough mixture but it states on the label that it is an opiate and can become addictive. I might become addicted to alcohol but cough mixture?  I don't think so. Anyway I will keep you posted on how I am doing in the coming weeks.  

 

                                                                                           *

A short extract from my book: Half a Pair of People.  Pantomime Time.

 

 

 That left one possibility, the good fairy. I

was given her lines to read and knew instinctively that the part of

Fairy Silverchime would be offered to me. I deduced this from the

lack of anyone else’s apparent willingness, rather than from my

obvious reading or acting ability. (I had the feeling the prospective

cast is not supposed to state a preference for a certain part, but a

keen bearded man from the VG stores particularly wanted to play

King Rat. And said so. But he didn’t get it. It went to a more suitable

candidate, a teacher from Banbury. A week later, not having heard

anything, and strictly keeping to the rules of “don’t ring us, we’ll ring

you” the telephone rang and I was officially invited to play the pantomime

fairy in the 1982 Chipping Norton production of Dick Whittington.

Rehearsals took place at 7 o’clock on Tuesday evenings in various

venues. Sometimes the assembly room in the local school, sometime

in the Chipping Norton Theatre. (The Chipping Norton Theatre,

incidentally, is absolutely delightful, remarkably pretty architecture,

very small and full of atmosphere..........

 

                                                                    *

I glimpsed a child

on the kitchen chair
feet dangling
legs swinging

large brown eyes stared
from a dusty pale face

she didn't smile or speak

about seven years old I thought
Syrian or perhaps Iraqi
her clothes once pink and green
now mud-stained and torn

her silver bracelets sparkling
in the sunlight

I made her Moroccan mint tea
offered her cake
kissed her cold cheek
dried her tears

I fetched more sugar
but on return I saw
the chair was empty
the child gone
dissolved in the morning air
 

                                                                  *

With very best wishes, Patricia


No comments:

Post a Comment