Sunday 3 March 2024

Friendship





                                                                                        Spring Gardens
 

 

Dear reader,

I was thinking about friendship this week.  When I went to live in Oxford in the early eighties, divorced, and living on my own I became friends with Katie Fforde, the well known novelist.  We met at a Writers Week for those of us who wanted to become writers.  It was residential and I shared a room with Katie. Obviously we talked about our ambitions and our life and from then on she was a good friend to me.

She told me she was going to be a writer of novels, that stories poured into her head and that is what she wanted to do with her life, write them down. Incidentally Katie was married with three children and a devoted and loving husband.  I was trying my hand at poetry and since then I think I could say that I am a poet certainly not a novelist although I have written an autobiography:   "Half a Pair of People".   Do try it if you want something to laugh at in this rather miserable time of year. It is on Amazon.

Over the ensuing years Katie did indeed become a well known novelist and sadly I lost touch with her, got married again and lived a rather reclusive life.  But I spent a few weeks in hospital during 2019 and sent out for a few of her books to read.  Her books are so delightful and I knew they would cheer me up.  Well two weeks ago I saw she had written another novel and I sent for it.  It was just as joyful as all the others I have read.  

So I found her name on the internet and wrote to her.  We have been emailing each other ever since, there is so much to reminisce about especially to tell her how much I loved her mother, Barbara. It has been a wonderful experience  finding her again and would urge anyone reading this who has lost touch with an old friend to try and make contact.  Lots of memories come up that you thought you had lost and can now share with the friend which is interesting and lots of fun.  The old saying that there is nothing like old friends is so true, so true.

                                                                             *

From Gilbert White  1783 March 8th, in Hampshire

The crocuses make a gaudy appearance, and bees gather on them.  The air is soft.  Violets blow.  snow lies under hedges.   Men plow.


From D.H.Lawrence  1916 March 9th in Cornwall

This morning, the world was white with snow. This evening the sunset is yellow, the birds are whistling, the gorse bushed are bristling with little winged suns....The new incoming days seem most wonderful, uncreated.


                                                                             *

Friendship renewed

 

And there she was

my friend of many years ago

a little changed perhaps

did I see a white hair

but it was her alright

the same sweet smile

the elegant clothes

the suede boots

 

we spoke

 

tears overtook me

we had aged of course

but our friendship revived

my heart overflowing with

such an intense feeling

of long-lost love

long-lost affection

truly

a feeling like no other for

a precious friendship

 

                                                                            *

 

With very best wishes, Patricia


No comments:

Post a Comment