Sunday 30 June 2024

Sleep Snare






 Dear Reader,


Sheep were first domesticated from wild species of sheep at least 5000 BC and their remains have been found at numerous sites of early human habitation in the the Middle East, Europe and Central Asia.  Domesticated sheep are raised for their fleece (wool), for milk and for meat.

Sheep originated in Central Asia and were introduced to Britain by early settlers.  Archaeologists unearthed preserved brown wool dating from the Neolithic period 5000 years ago.   

Sheep are very gentle animals and were one of the first animals to be domesticated.  They can differentiate facial expressions and prefer, it seems, a smile to a frown.  Sheep have excellent peripheral vision.   Their large, rectangular pupils allow them to see almost 360 degrees. 

The popular stereotype is that sheep are docile, passive, unintelligent and timid but a review of the research on their behaviour, affect, cognition and personality reveals that they are complex, individualistic and social.

                                                                          *

After my piece about being scammed last week I have found out that almost everyone I spoke to had been scammed.   I suppose the prime motive by these people is to make money out of their victims but do they ever think how upsetting their actions are?   I don't suppose so.  I feel better now I know that so many other people have been taken in by these criminals, and  I am very wary of everything that comes in and simply block unknown names.  

                                                                           *

From Samuel Pepys  June 28th 1664 in London

'Put on a half shirt first this summer, it being very hot, and yet so ill-tempered am I grown, that I am afeared I shall catch cold, while all the world is ready to melt away.'

From Francis Kilvert  June 29th  1872 in Breconshire 

'Called at Hay Castle and went with the four pretty girl archers to shoot and pick up their arrows in the field opposite the castle.'

                                                                            *         

                                                                       Sleep snare

 
 
 
 
I lie awake and hear
the clock strike three,
and wonder how to
snare elusive sleep,
how to capture it,
how to find
its hiding place
and coax it back to bed.
I might entice  it
with crimson berries,
or butter croissants
then pounce on it,
and let it loose
inside my head.
But sharp is cunning sleep
it knows the tricks,
is bored of counting sheep.
 
 
 
I must fly northwards
to the moon
and let sleep take me
 
 
soon
 
          soon
 
soon ......... 
 
 
 
                                                                              *
With very best wishes, Patricia
 

 

                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment